Friday, December 7, 2012

The boy has arrived

On Tuesday, December 4th I went in for my weekly OB appt.  I was dilated 4 cm and 60% effaced...but not having any contractions.  I was so ready to have this baby but the doctor couldn't do anything because he and I were still perfectly healthy so she sent me home with an appointment for the next week. 
I went to my friend's house and she gave me a pedi/mani which was much needed. She also did E's nails.  E was so excited to show them off.  I wish I had taken a picture of both of ours.
After D got home from work, we went out to eat and then went to the mall to walk, hoping to induce labor.  We walked for about 45 minutes and then came home and put E to bed.  As we were putting E down at 8:30 I started getting contractions (finally!!!) and I thought maybe we should just put her down at our neighbors house because I might go into labor tonight.  But we just put her in her bed.  Between 9 and 10 I kept getting contractions that were about 5 minutes apart.  I kept trying to get D to pack his bags and he kept procrastinating, finally about 10:45 I was sure we needed to go and we got everything ready and thankfully some friends in our complex were still up and took E for the night.  We got to the hospital around 11:30 and I was 6 cm dilated and 90% effaced, so they admitted me to a room.  I asked for an epidural, but they had to put the IV in first and then by 1:00 am the pain of contractions was so bad, but no anesthesiologist yet....
The nurses checked me again and I was 9.5 cm.  She said I could have the Dr break my water and deliver now or wait 10 minutes for the anesthesiologist to arrive.  I painfully decided to just deliver the baby.

So after the Dr broke my water I painfully pushed during 3 contractions and at 1:27 am December 5, 2012 this handsome young man joined our family :)

After he was born we texted both our parents that little Ethan Ryan (from now on referred to as "the boy", "little man" or countless other nicknames...) had arrived.  D's parents said they would head up here in the morning after finishing up things at work, and my parents will see him closer to Christmas.

Grandma C with the boy

Besides the actual pain of no epidural, I was fine and so was baby. 

Me with my two sweet kids

Our happy family of 4-although from the look on E's face you wouldn't know it...she hates taking pictures :)

Grandpa C with the boy

On December 6 at 5 pm we were discharged from the hospital, ready to go home.

Taking our sweet boy out to the car.

E loves her little brother and was happy to hold him at home.  She has been very good with him so far. The boy is the most content little baby I have known.  He sleeps most the time and is happy for the short times he is awake.  He only really cries if he is getting his diaper changed and then he hollers :)  I feel so blessed to have his sweet spirit in our home and have enjoyed every moment, even those in the middle of the night with my sweet little baby.  I am so grateful for my two kids and my loving husband in my life.  Right now I couldn't be happier.
Posted by Picasa


  1. He is a precious child of God!!! So happy for you guys...and I am even more proud that you did it without an Epidural! That is one of my goals one day!! Thanks for getting a blog up so soon!! I love stocking yall!!!

    1. Thank you Taylor! He most certainly is a precious child of God! Although I would not recommend that you have a kid without an was pure torture. So glad it is over and done with though!