Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Icy roads

D had to go back to work on Dec 26th, so we took off for Amarillo, around 2 pm Christmas Day. Just before hitting Dallas we started noticing cars headed Southbound had snow on the cars. We knew then we were in trouble. Just N of Dallas there was lots of snow on the sides of the road and a little ice on the road. We stopped in Decatur for gas and to feed little brother, who is an excellent car rider, when D got back in the car he told me that we might need to get a Hotel in Witcata Falls another hour down the road. I said that is fine, I know I dont want to drive in the ice, and it was my turn to drive. So we strap everyone back in and get back on 287. As we are on the ramp trying to get back on 287 the cars wheels are just spinning and not progressing because there was so much ice, they couldn't get enough traction. I looked at D and said we might need to spend the night here, it was already getting dark, and I didn't want to drive an hour in the dark with so much ice on the roads. Not to mention all the cars we saw in the ditch or skidding across all 4 lanes and the median. It was pretty scary out there.
We found a hotel at the next exit and got a room. Now it was Christmas Day and about 6 pm and I was starving, thankfully there was an IHOP across the street that was open and we got to eat dinner. D still needed to be back at work at 1 pm the next day so we still had to get up around 6 and left at 7:30 when the sun came out to see the ice.
The roads were horrible. There were two skinny trails on the right lane made from other cars tires and the rest of the road was a sheet of ice. We could of ice skated home faster... There were times we weren't even going 20 mph because of the conditions. And we saw abandioned cars all over the place, probably from the night before. I am so glad we waited till daylight to finish the drive. The only time the roads cleared up were in cities, in between the cities however, was covered in ice and snow. About two hours outside Amarillo, the roads finally cleared up and I took over driving the rest of the trip.

E and little brother were amazing troupers in the car this trip. Little brother slept the whole time unless he needed to eat. and E just looked out the window, played on the kindle and slept. They are so good in the car, its amazing. I am so grateful for our safety on our trip and that we were able to make it home in time for D to get to work. I am grateful for the time we spent with both our families as we celebrated the birth of our Savior. I am grateful for my two kids and loving husband. Oh and by the way, today little brother is 3 weeks old!!! Where did the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment