Friday, August 31, 2012

arcade games, candy machines, and coin suckers

So I am going to rant for a minute here.  I just need to vent.  Bear with me or don't read.  But understand I am still pretty upset about this.  Why do stores and movie theaters and who knows what else have all those stupid arcade games, mechanical animals, candy machines, stuffed animal machines or whatever else in their store entry??  I mean seriously.

Don't they know the behavior issues it causes with some kids??

In fact I have not 1 but 2 stories from today. Alone.

1. I go to Walmart with E this morning for milk.  E sees mechanical horse.  Throws a fit till I let her sit on it. I am not in a huge hurry so I oblige her this once and stick her on the horse and she has fun even without me putting in quarters.  As she rides it she sees the candy and stuffed animal machines.  She wants down to play with those.  I try to stick her in the cart and she goes haywire, crazy, again.  I force her in the back of the cart. Count to 10 to calm myself down and then giver her two options, ipod or food from my purse to sit buckled in the front.  She chose ipod and was content for shopping.  

2.  I noticed the dollar theater was playing Madagascar 3 last week and thought it would be fun to take E to the movies again.  We had a pretty good experience with her at The Lorax on her birthday, so thought it would be a fun family event.  We get to the mall early and E is getting cranky.  But when she saw the movie poster and realized what we were watching she was so excited it was adorable.  She kept saying over and over, Lion, Monkeys, Hippo, Giraffe...
D bought the tickets and we start to walk in, but once again she sees the arcade games and freaks out.  We had 20 minutes so we let her pretend to play on them without putting in quarters.  Then I scoop her up 5 minutes before movie starts and tell her its time to see the animals.  She watches the movie, without popcorn, soda, or candy, and loves it.  We are all in a great mood.  We walk out, through the games, and guess what?  Yeah. She flipped out again. But this time we dont stop. So she hollers. And screams. The entire way to the car. 

Guess who went straight to bed?

Guess who has lost ipod and kindle privileges for the weekend?
Guess who pouted really cute-like when daddy chastised her?
Yep.  The stink bug E.

I think we will wait a long time before going to the movies with her again.  And I might just shop at the more expensive store without stupid mechanical animals in front of it for a little while.
I hate marketing towards children. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I went to Joann's with my friend last week and they have one of those long check-out lanes where there's one line that feeds to all the registers. That whole aisle is LINED with candy, toys, and little gadgets. My friend had her two boys with her and it was all she could do to keep them from throwing fits and grabbing everything in sight. I also hate how fast food is marketed toward children (happy meal toys and playplaces, anyone?) and also cereal--"kids'" cereal has so much sugar in it it's unreal.

    ReplyDelete