Sunday, August 28, 2011

Broken

  1. Elder Hollands talk on Saturday night was amazing. His message was on how to fix broken things. Our broken hearts. I love Elder Holland. His message is just what I wanted to hear...needed to hear. These past few months have been hard. Really hard. I don't like being so far away from David and I know he misses me and Elizabeth terribly. But our house isn't selling. Depression has hit me in ways I didn't know existed. I have said way too many times "I can't take it anymore" But this weekend I was given hope. I am broken, but through my Redeemer I can be healed. All I need to do is learn how to offer my broken heart on the alter for Christ to mend. As I have been mulling over his words and viewing my friends comments on Facebook I realized there is a song by Kenneth Cope that beautifully captures his message


I know that my Redeemer lives. I know that He died for me and suffered so that I may be whole again. While I am far from being healed this very minute. I know that I can continue and that the Lord is watching out for me. We all have to suffer just a little of what He suffered, so that we can become like He is. It gives a whole new outlook towards the atonement. I am so grateful that I have a loving Father in Heaven who is looking out for me.

The other thing he talked about that really hit me was also about the Savior. He told the story about Christ and the Apostles on the boat in Mark 4


36 And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships.
37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.
38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea,aPeace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great bcalm.
40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so afearful? how is it that ye have no bfaith?

41 And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?
Some key points in this story:
  • Christ had a pillow to lay his head upon; He sacrificed and had so little, but had a pillow on this stormy night
  • The apostles were fishers and used to storms. Yet they were afraid of this storm. It must of been extremly bad
  • Christ is always working and teaching and healing. He must of been exhausted to be able to sleep during such a storm
  • Yet, the apostles still woke him up.
  • The Lord rebuked the wind, and the waves, and the apostles.
  • When lifes storms come upon us, we too should turn to the Lord with faith that he will calm the storm
  • We should stay in the "Boat" (Church). The dumbest thing we could do is jump ship in the middle of the storm and not seek help from our Savior.

This reminds me of a beautiful Hymn "Master the Tempest is Raging" by Mary A. Baker





  1. Master, the tempest is raging!
    The billows are tossing high!
    The sky is o’ershadowed with blackness,
    No shelter or help is nigh;
    Carest Thou not that we perish?
    How canst Thou lie asleep,
    When each moment so madly is threat’ning
    A grave in the angry deep?
    • Refrain:
      The winds and the waves shall obey Thy will,
      Peace, be still!
      Whether the wrath of the storm-tossed sea,
      Or demons or men, or whatever it be,
      No waters can swallow the ship where lies
      The Master of ocean, and earth, and skies;
      They all shall sweetly obey Thy will,
      Peace, be still! Peace, be still!
      They all shall sweetly obey Thy will,
      Peace, peace, be still!
  2. Master, with anguish of spirit
    I bow in my grief today;
    The depths of my sad heart are troubled—
    Oh, waken and save, I pray!
    Torrents of sin and of anguish
    Sweep o’er my sinking soul;
    And I perish! I perish! dear Master—
    Oh, hasten, and take control.
Master, the terror is over,
The elements sweetly rest;
Earth’s sun in the calm lake is mirrored,
And heaven’s within my breast;
Linger, O blessed Redeemer!
Leave me alone no more;
And with joy I shall make the blest harbor,
And rest on the blissful shore.









No comments:

Post a Comment